BEASIAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Part 5: Verb Conjugation

Go down

Part 5: Verb Conjugation Empty Part 5: Verb Conjugation

Post by The Right Admin Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:07 pm

In Japanese, it is relatively easy to use verbs, once you know how. Before you start conjugating verbs, you need know about the two different types of verbs there are. There are u-verbs and ru-verbs, these are both very similar, but the ways you conjugate them are different. The following chart shows the basics of conjugation for both ru-verbs and u-verbs.

|| ru-verbs || u-verbs
bases || tabe || ik
Dictionary Form|| たべる || いく
Present/Future Positive|| たべます || いきます
Present/Future Negative|| たべません|| いきません
Stems|| たべ|| いき
たべる  --  To eat
いく  --  To go

The dictionary form of a verb is how you will see a verb in a dictionary, and it is used for certain other things.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am now going to explain how to conjugate verbs as simply as I can:
For ru-verbs:

1. drop the final ~る from the verb
  2. add ~ます or ~ません where the ~る was

For u-verbs:

1. Change the final -u sound to an -i sound, so いく --> いき
  2. add ~ます or ~ません onto the end

To be able to tell what type of a verb some verb is, you have to look at the last character on it. If a verb ends in any character other than ~る then it is going to be a u-verb. Just because a verb ends with ~る, it isn't guaranteed to be a ru-verb. There are some verbs that end with ~る that are u-verbs like かえる. To be able to tell if a verb that ends with ~る is a ru-verb or an u-verb, you have to look at the character that comes before the ~る. If there is an -a, -u, or an -o character, then it is always going to be an u-verb. If there is an -i or a -e character, then it will most likely be a ru-verb, but there are some exceptions, like かえる with I mentioned earlier.
かえる  --  To return

Along with the ru- and u-verbs, there are also irregular verbs. There are not many of these, but they all get conjugated the same way as 2 verbs. These verbs are くる and する. By this I mean they are a word that is followed by what is normally する, like べんきょうする which is べんきょう followed by する.
する  --  To do
くる  --  To come
べんきょう  --  Study
べんきょうする  --  To study

The irregular verbs conjugate as follows:

|| To do || To come
Dictionary Form|| する || くる
Present/Future Positive|| します || きます
Present/Future Negative|| しません|| きません
Stems|| ||
In both cases the ~る is dropped and the first character is changed to an -i character.

When I refer to the present/future tense, it is in reference to things that will happen either in the immediate or distant future, It is not for things you are currently doing.

Here are some example sentences:
わたしはばんごはんをたべます。  which translates to "I will eat dinner."
ばんごはん  --  Dinner

あなたはスーパーにいきませんね。 which translates to "You won't go to the super market, right?"
スーパー  --  Super Market

The Right Admin
Admin

https://beasian.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Part 5: Verb Conjugation Empty Re: Part 5: Verb Conjugation

Post by The Right Admin Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:09 pm

To the best of my knowledge, くる does not mean "to come" in the lewd way.
This just for your clarification left admin.

The Right Admin
Admin

https://beasian.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down